Monday, August 16, 2010

Doubtful reaction

all across the Catalan front, 24th July 1713

...After having nimbly moved to their new advanced positions, the Catalan forward units were now awaiting for the Two Crowns armies to slowly approach to their designated targets. Just as the Catalan Headquarters had anticipated, the Spaniards' Army Group North detached a strong column that headed back to the revolted city of Balaguer with the aim to regain its control by force, so restoring their cut out, endangered supply lines. In the menawhile, the rest of the Army dispersed itself across a wide area for foraging. The only aggressive initiative taken by the Army Group North was the delivery of a Dragoons battalion into the Pyrenean valleys of Pallars, with the mission of chasing the Catalan forces operating close by Tremp town.

As for the Army Group South, whose advance had been suddenly stopped by the unexpected refusal of the Imperial garrison at Tivissa to give up their position, performed an extremely aggressive approach to that town with all forces at their immediate disposal. A real fire, lead and blood storm was about to fall over the village in revenge for the humiliating retreat of their forward units face to the Imperials. The only garrison of Tivissa (a battalion of Aragonese Dragoons supported by a light battery) had just been reinforced by the gathering of local sometent militiae and a regular battalion of Catalan Mountain Fusiliers, and all together hurriedly prepared for a last stand face to an overhelming enemy.

Quite unexpectedly, the Army Group Centre kept pushing forward towards the very heart of Catalonia, albeit taking some more cautions than the preceding week. Therefore, while a strong force still advanced towards the next Imperial garrisoned town -Igualada-, an equally powerful force stayed in place at Cervera, where the local authorities still were renuent to surrender the town to Philip V's authority, in spite of the Imperial garrison having already evacuated it.

In the meanwhile, French forces were also progressing towards the Catalan held strongholds, although at a noticeably slower pace than the Spaniards. It seemed as if they were taking care to ensure the submission of local authorities in every occupied village before marching to the next town. The violent uprising at Girona city was about to be supressed, while the other one the French were suffering in their occupied area -the coastal town of Sant Feliu de Guíxols- seemed to be turning in favour of the rebels, who had received a strong Mountain Fusiliers reinforcement. With more Catalan units already on the way too, it seemed as if the French had apparently renounced to put their own reinforcements on the march, for these would likely arrive in Sant Feliu too late.

Something in the offensive had gone wrong from the start, and some unrest and disgustement had started to arise at Madrid Court.

I had actually written these Two Crowns' move orders for this 2nd turn at the same time that my gaming mate Jordi wrote theirs for the Catalans, so that none of us knew in advance each other's ones. Dice rolls gave to him the initiative, so that I've had to wait until he was done -with no chance of changing my previously written orders, of course...


Jordi said...

Catalan headquarters have got some surprises, not all bad.
But we need international help soon, Tivissa could become a phantom city next week.

Soldadets said...

Jordi, you can be sure our good Marquis de Vilana is doing his best, but I'm afraid that there's no time left for Tivissa defenders. No help is possible in a so short while... unless USS John F. Kennedy is suddenly dropped on to the 18th Century Balearic Sea from the Bermuda Triangle...