Friday, April 08, 2011

Re-inventing yourself

Quite a lot of days passed since my last post, I admit. My most sincere apologies to those readers who were following the dramatic birth story of my Imagi-Nation, as well as to my gaming mate Jordi and expectating proxy gamers for such a long silence. However, sometimes there comes a moment in everyone's life when you are suddenly put face to an unknown roads crossing and you must choose one way -you have no other choice. Listen, here at home I've been a computer programmer in a Savings Bank for nearly 25 years, and now I know that I won't keep any longer my job. Some of you perhaps have been lately aware on the international markets pressure over the Spanish government for overall banking and labour market reforms to be endeavoured. OK, my own regional Savings Bank is joining to another three regional Saving Banks to form one single Bank -with unified headquarters at Madrid. Computing services are to be outsourced, so that all people in the respective Computing departments are to lose our jobs. No more than 18 months until all our databases are transferred to the outsourcing company, and then it will be over.

At my current age, with half my life spent at the very same working place, extremely specialized at a computing mode only worth in banking systems (COBOL programming, yes old good COBOL!!), I know I'll be unable to find a similar job anymore. As a matter of fact, it's even highly unlikely that no one wills employing a 50-years-old man for anything... even less, if thinking of our 40% youth unemployment rate, or an overall 20% ratio!!

So that... I'm in the crossroads, and I've chosen the risky way. I'm planning to build a wargaming-related firm -sorry I cannot explain to you anything yet, I'm still in the process of checking its viability. After 20 years of wargaming as a hobby, what else might I enterprise with some of a decent mastering, a part of my COBOL and HP UNIX knowledge?

So that now you know why I've been somehow absent of this lovely community. I've been mad busy contacting sculptors, corporate image companies, concept artists, hobby shops and so...

Re-inventing yourself, I was told. I was compelled to once before, nearly 30 years ago, when after graduating in Biology had to spend a whole year fruitless seeking for a job as a Biologist... Fruitless, for there were no jobs for Biologists in Spain 30 years ago, so that I finally para-graduated in computer programming at Honeywell Bull Barcelona -and thanks to them I soon succeded in finding a job.

I had to re-invent myself once, so... let's try it again. Only that 30 years older.

13 comments:

Bluebear Jeff said...

I wish you good luck, sir.


-- Jeff

paint pig said...

grab the bull by the horns and reinvent, good luck

PP/IG

Anonymous said...

Best of luck. I know it is very scary being faced with such changes in your life. You seem to have a good attitude and a plan. I wish you the best of luck. Keep us informed of what you are planning.
Steve

Jiminho said...

This is a tough situation you are in, Lluis, you share it with many others as well. I wish you great good luck and an ample supply of Catalan courage.

Jim

Robert said...

I've been there myself, at age 60 I'm doing it again! Sofar, knock on wood it is working, again.

tradgardmastare said...

All the very best for your forthcoming reinvention!
Alan

abdul666 said...

Deepest sympathy and most sincere wishes, Lluis!

Ostman el Sullustà said...

Molta sort en aquesta nova aventura. Esperarem impacients veure'n els resultats, segurs que seran bons.

tidders said...

Bad news - but turn it round and make it an opportunity to do something you want to do

Good luck


-- Allan

Jeroen72 said...

Bad luck but i'm sure you can turn it around. I wish you the best for the future :)

Salvador said...

Sorry for you man, it's a hard time down here you know. So sad when it had to have been easy to ease the crisis. But I'm happy at least you have one project going on. Of course you can count on me. Myself, I'm sure I won't last in my actual job anf it's sure it will be sooner than later that I leave (or are made into it). Sad after so many years of dedication, but Lluís, hold on and go ahead!
BTW I'll be interested about your research and development...
I hope for your success. Who knows, we always can be at the start of something...

David said...

Sorry to hear that, Lluis. Good luck with your new venture!

Cheers,

David
http://nba-sywtemplates.blogspot.com/

Soldadets said...

Dear Sirs,

Most sincerely grateful for your warm breathings and wishes, that make me feel strongly encouraged. As soon as I have any interesting news on my next daily-life moves, I'll let you know.

Thanks for your support. :)