Friday, January 13, 2012

Some scenery pieces

It seems that these next weeks will be a quite exciting ones! Two battles are to be played within our current turn but, as I'm not participating in any of them because will be done by proxy, I'll have no other chance than sitting around and anxiously wait for news from front --as if a Central Headquarters officer I was...

ARGHHHHHHHHH... can't bear with it any more!!!

The battles to be proxy gamed soon are the naval encounter and the cavalry clash. There is also a third battle this turn, a civilian revolt in a town, that I'm still uncertain whether I'll be able to directly play it, or if someone will offer himself for gaming it by proxy too. Just for case, I've already started to hurriedly increase my buildings collection by the fastest way I've been able to think of: cut-out paper models. This also helps quite reducing tension...


Buildings included in these two sets are supposedly medieval, but I've thought they could fit well enough in an 18th centuiry layout, provided some small details are added at the last step, such as window blinds, maybe one or two shop signs, and perhaps wall lampposts or so. Their scale is 1:87 (railways H0 gauge), so that they could be used either for 15mm or 20mm layouts --and this is OK for me, because I'd started thinking around gaming it with a nearly forgotten stock of 20mm plastic figures I have...


A compulsory adaption I must do is that of making roofs lower, for they are too steep for a Mediterranean house. They should be about 30º with respect to ground, while are currently at 45 or 50º. As I want the buildings to be sturdier than this thin cardboard they come printed in, I'm assembling them on a foamcard structure for added strength. However, I'm still doubtful whether making roofs removable or not... Sure that such feature would be great for an eventual WWII or SCW game, but for 18th century gaming...? Well, let's keep working on walls... and roofs will come later, hopefully with a decision already taken! As soon as I have some presentable results at hand, I'll show these at my painting blog, soldadets.blogspot.com. Don't expect any hyper-fast work though!

6 comments:

tidders said...

Nice looking building books - the ones you have shown on your blog seem to be out of print. Found a couple of others on http://www.amazon.es/ to use for a Monastery - must have somewhere for my monks to live :).

-- Allan

MurdocK said...

Good for fast basic table dressing.

I would not waste too much effort on extra strength. We did some old west buildings for 25mm on cardstock and they were more than strong enough to even put the minis on things like balconies and decks.

Unless the buildings are going to see a lot of handling or transport I would not put too much extra time into the 'strength' issue.

Soldadets said...

Allan,

Yes I've stored these booklets for over a decade, waiting for an uncertain opportunity...

Sure these versions are out of print, but I've happened to find a paper stuff Spanish online store, http://papel3d.com/ where updated versions of that whole collection should be found --the monastery itself too

They apparently do have an English version interface, http://papel3d.com/tienda/index.php?language=en&osCsid=r18l68gqs1go91lk7mjtjq0sc4

I don't know the price ranges usual to such kind of product, although seemengly are cheaper than those often found at wargaming-related stores. I did some business with them in the past and seem to be a reliable firm.

Soldadets said...

David,

Thanks for the advice, I shall have it into account hereinafter. Yes I am a bit concerned on scenery durability issues. Our gaming band enjoys no stable wargaming room; so that scenery pieces have to be often transported from one home to another.

Naturally, it highly depends on the models paper quality. That particular collection is actually printed on a good quality cardboard --so I guess that they might well resist some wear with little damage.

However, it's still rather likely I keep using foamcard for their basic 4-walls structure and floor. It helps me feeling it safer ;)

Jeroen72 said...

Cool down ;) the battle is played. Just have to pour it into a nice narrative.

Archduke Piccolo said...

Those buildings look very like the Usborne sets that used to come out years ago. I have the Mediaeval village and sea port, and the Roman fort (really a permanent fortified garrison establishment). Most of it I have built.

The seaport was interesting as, apart from 2 small 'flat' vessels, you also got to make (in 3D) a small cog. I used the basic plan to make two or three cogs for a friend's Mediaeval German (DBM) army...

They are very nice buildings, but MurdocK notwithstanding, I would recommend a little bit of strengthening, at least so that the buildings remain more or less square.

Cheers,
Ion